Frequently Asked Questions


What times is the school office open?

Our opening hours are Monday - Friday 8.30am - 12.00pm and 2.30 - 3.15pm

What do I do if my child is unwell and unable to come to school?

Please telephone or email the school by 8:15 am. A letter or email is also required once your child returns to school.

My child has been sick or had diarrhoea.  Can he/she come to school?

Your child can only return to school 48 hours after he/she was last sick. Please phone the school office for advice.

What if my child has an appointment?

Please let the office know as soon as possible, particularly if your child will require a lunch before/after their appointment.

Can the school administer anti-biotics to my child?

If your child has been prescribed anti-biotics 3 times a day then we will not administer any at school as you can give them before school, after school and bedtime.
If your child has been prescribed anti-biotics 4 times a day then we can administer one dosage of the medication but you will need to fill in the necessary medical form available from the office.

My child has Impetigo.  When can he/she return to school?

Your child will need to have been taking anti-biotics for 48 hours and the lesions must be crusted or healed.

My child has Chicken Pox.  When can he/she return to school?

Your child can return to school if there are no cold-like symptoms or high temperature. The HPA advises that children should stay at home for 5 days following the appearance of spots.

My child has Conjunctivitis.  Can he/she come to school?

Yes, but if the problem persists you may wish to take your child to your GP in case medication is needed to clear it up.

My child has Headlice.  When can he/she return to school?

If we notice live headlice on a child in school we will inform the parent/carer in order to treat the problem at home. You will need to treat your child’s hair and ensure that there are no live headlice in his/her hair. There may be some eggs remaining but this does not prevent your child from being in school. 

How can I contact the school nurse?

The school health office can be contacted on 01442 454697

How can I receive the school newsletter?

The newsletter is sent home by Parentmail. If you wish to receive the newsletter via a paper copy please contact the school office. Newsletters are also posted on our website - see 'Latest Newsletter' on the home page, go to the 'News' tab or click here.

How can I let you know my child is going home with somebody else at the end of the day?

Please sign the home time collection sheet in your child's class. You can also ring the school office, leaving a message with the pick-up details, by 2.45pm. If you have a regular arrangement, please fill in a 'home-time collection' form, available from the school office.

Can I take me child out of school during term time?

You will need to complete an 'Application for Leave of Absence' form which is available from the school office. For children aged 5 years and over absence will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances. We firmly believe that 100% attendance supports 100% education and would urge you to consider the impact of missed curriculum before requesting time out of school.

How can I volunteer to help in school?

You can approach your class teacher, the school office or via email.  You will be required to complete a DBS check for safeguarding reasons.

How do I join the Friends of Swing Gate committee?

You can contact the Chair of the Friends of Swing Gate by emailing the school office or click here to visit the FOSG webpage for more information.

What uniform does my child need?

All children from Nursery - Year 2 are required to wear a school uniform. Uniform can be ordered online, using 'WisePay' by clicking here. All uniform ordered online will be sent home with your child. It can also be bought from the school office. Please see the uniform section of this website for information of what uniform you child requires.

Does my child need a water bottle at school?

All children need a clear plastic water bottle in school every day. Waterbottles and lids can be purchased from the school office or online on our uniform page here

How do I get school meals for my child?

All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to 'Universal Free School Meals'. However the school needs to know whether your child requires a school dinner or will be bringing in a packed lunch from home (or a mix of the two). Half a term's notice is required if your child wishes to change their dinner pattern. Click here to go to the 'school meals' webpage.

My child is in Nursery.  Will he/she automatically come to Swing Gate for Reception?

There is no automatic transfer from Nursery to Reception class. All parents/carers have to apply separately for Reception places which are allocated by the County Council. Please look out for the admissions booklet which is sent to home addresses by the County Council. For further information regarding admissions please click the link to Herts Direct webpage

When will my child join Nursery?

We have a one intake Nursery, with all children starting in September and completing one year in our Nursery. We follow County guidelines for Nursery admissions (click here for more information).

When do I apply for a junior school place?

During the Autumn Term when your child is in Year 2 you will receive a booklet from the County Council advising you of the admissions process.

At what age is school attendance compulsory?

All children will join Reception in the September after their 4th birthday. We follow County guidelines for admissions.

What do I do if I have any concerns regarding my child?

It is always best to first approach your child's class teacher to discuss any concerns you may have. Your child's teacher may need to find out further information regarding your concerns and would therefore not always be able to meet with you immediately but will arrange a suitable time to see you once all the information is to hand. If you feel that matters remain unresolved you may wish to make an appointment to see the Headteacher.

How do I make a suggestion or complaint?

Suggestions are always welcome. We have a suggestions box in the reception area of school.

If you have a complaint please see 'How to complain to your child's school' on our Statutory page or click here. There is also a leaflet available in the reception area.

How do I contact a school Governor?

The Chair of Governors can be contacted at

For more information click here to go to the Governors webpage.

How do I know how my child is progressing at school?

Parents Evenings are held twice a year in the Autumn and Spring Term when you will have an opportunity to discuss your child's progress. Annual reports are sent out for every child at the end of the Summer Term. If we have any concerns regarding your child's progress we will contact you.

Why am I not receiving email/text messages from school?

Messages are generated from your details on the ParentMail database. If you think your details may have changed and wish to check what details we have on file or you are not receiving messages please call the school office.